Monday, January 17, 2011

Interview with... Gerard McMahon

Hands up who is a fan of The Lost Boys movie? I know I am, and I know a few guys who really dig the movie too.
Not only the movie, but the soundtrack.
I bring to your attention Gerard McMahon, aka G Tom Mac, who created the infamous song to the original movie, "Cry Little Sister."

Gerard also worked on that fantastic film, Fast Times At Ridgemont High. I really should do a review of that film... But I digress.

If you're a fan of The Lost Boys, and Gerard's work I'm sure you'll be very interested to read what Gerard has to say in this interview.



1. How did you get involved with The Lost Boys?

A) I was called on by Director Joel Schumacher who was a fan of my music to come up with a theme song, he was in the middle of filming, & asked me to take a look at the script to see if it would inspire me, as it did I started to think I wanted to write something very universal that would make sense to the vampire, but would relate on many levels lyrically & musically.

2. Fast Times At Ridgemont High had a very different feel than The Lost Boys. How did you approach this from a musical point of view?

A) Cameron Crowe writer of Fast times, had heard my song Look in your eyes through my manager & fell in love with it, so it wasn't a case like Lost boys where I wrote it directly for the film, it just happened to work, love it when that happens!

3. Besides film, what else music-wise can you tell us about?

A) I've always been first an artist & songwriter that has had a very strange career in respects to being pinned down to any one distinct style, even though I see a distinct style in myself,I do think why I had many people from KISS to Carly Simon, Ice Cube Roger Daltrey, Eminem, record my songs, is that my writing was diverse enough & I guess unique to them, that these artists were attracted to my work. I'm quite pleased that I didn't turn out to have a limited run as an artist, one hit wonder or whatever, it's been a good mix of being a performer still out there, to writing & producing & still listening to fresh sounds & being inspired to create new ones.



4. How involved with the Lost Boys sequels were you?

A) The Tribe (Lost Boys 2) Warner Bros. asked me to get involved, but I really didn't like the story,however they wanted me to do a music video to have as a bonus on the DVD so I agreed,providing I was given complete creative control. I did a new version of my song Cry little sister using my original version for the first verse then going into a more updated rocked out version throughout, most fans loved it, some thought I went too far, I enjoyed steppin' it up quite frankly. It appears on my album THOU SHALT NOT FALL album. As far as this last installment "The Thirst" I've not seen it, & I'm sure they'll keep going straight to DVD as long as they can keep making them cheap enough to make money. I don't have any real desire to keep running Cry little sister (my version) into the ground with this on going franchise, for no other reason than I want to be challenged by other things musically.

5. What's coming up next?

A) I'm in the process of finishing up my new album (whatever an album means any more,) a collection of songs shall we say haha! ahh yes what a concept! that should release in the late summer. I just scored music & wrote a majority of songs for the new Horror Thriller 'Emerging past' which releases in the Spring of 2011, then I will tour America in the Summer again. & I have a film company now that is producing music biopics & documentaries, we have our first film going into production soon.

6. Is there an event or charity you would like to bring to my reader's attention?

I'm a big supporter of my friend Roger Daltrey's Childrens cancer hospital wards that he continues to support & I'm right behind him on that.




I apologise for not being able to provide an actual image of Gerard for the interview.
Never the less I thank him wholeheartedly, and I hope you enjoyed reading.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment