Friday, April 1, 2011

Black Swan

My wife and I had been wanting to see this movie for a while, and it was one of those movies that we'd wanted to see when it was out at the cinema.
I was able to get a copy of it on DVD and so we watched it the other night.
We're both glad we didn't pay to see the film.
Here's the trailer


And here's the movie poster


Don't let the label of "art house movie" fool you. This is just another dirty movie. Now I'm no prude, but after watching this film I'm convinced it's this generation's answer to the movie Showgirls. About half way through the film my wife and I were wondering if this was written by a horny 14 year old boy.




Here we have Nina (Natalie Portman), a ballet dancer who has been given the chance of a lifetime. To headline Swan Lake.

And here we have Lily (Mila Kunis), also a ballet dancer. And wow, wait for it, she wants the lead role also. What a plot twist!

That's about it for the story, because what follows is one sex-scene after the next. It's like the writer found out who had been cast in this movie and then thought, "okay, what can I have them do in this scene?"

Here's Thomas Leroy(Vincent Cassel), the director of Swan Lake. I've seen Vincent in a few movies and I knew what to expect. He does give a good performance in this movie, despite the dialogue.

As I wrote, this movie is all about sex, with some spattering of ballet here and there. Not to mention the fancy use of camera-work. If you do some fancy camera work in a movie and claim it's a arthouse movie, then you can pretty much show whatever you like. Even if the movie was written by a horny teenage boy.

Beth Macintyre (Winona Ryder) also gives a good performance as the retiring ballet superstar. Her role is somewhat diminished. Perhaps she refuses to get her gear off so they cut her scenes back? Who knows? Watch this movie if you're on school holidays and the parents have gone to bed for the night. Otherwise there's no other real reason to watch. 3 out of 10 stars. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment